diegorbb93

Hi! Im preserving PSX Norway videogames, can you help me?

diegorbb93    1

Hi everyone! Long ago i posted this on your Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Norway/comments/bwbhme/ey_norway_we_are_looking_to_preserve_some/

As people was really kind, we werent succesful in obtaining all the the remaining titles i told you about. Still, we were able to obtain a copy from "A Bug's Life" norwegian release, thanks to Yrgen!

http://redump.org/disc/62929/

But, i would like to try it one more time, so we can finish this project, so here we go! In case you dont want to read that much, TLDR : Gaming preservation group called Redump needs some games released exclusive in norwegian version for Sony Playstation 1 and 2, being these one of the last games not properly preserved by this group across all PAL region (Europe, Australia). Would be nice to catch it and dump it in order to finish for the best time in history the PAL Playstation set.

My name is Diego and i come from a platform called VideoGaming Preservation Collective.

https://www.preservegames.org/

Our platform works as a nexus for lot of different videogaming preservation groups and different people from the community. In this case, help is needed for Redump.org for optical media preservation (A.K.A. all kind of discs!) --> http://redump.org/

In the last year, strong efforts were made by the members from this community in order to preserve the full set of games from Sony Playstation 1 & 2, a couple of amazing videoconsoles which we are fighting really hard to preserve every single game ever released. Those efforts included spending a lot of money and coordinating a lot of people to buy and bring those games to people across Europe (like me, in Spain) to obtain a proper data backup and document it.

For the first time in years, we are completely close to document every single detail and data from these game across Europe and Australia, what it's known as the PAL zone (being USA and rest of America, the NTSC zone, and Japan, the NTSC-J zone). And that's the reason we are calling this Reddit, to ask if any of you could help us in our tasks, by donating (or selling if it's needed) or dumping for us, these games for gaming preservation.

On one hand, from Playstation 1, there is one game remaining, and we havent been able to even confirm its existence!

"LEGO Island 2: The Brickster's Revenge" with Serial ID "SLES-03306"

We are really desperate to find this one, as we have great illusions on finishing your country's set of games for Playstation 1!

In the other hand, in Playstation 2, we are only lacking a Harry Potter title that we have proof it exists.

"Harry Potter og Mysteriekammeret" with Serial ID "SLES-51215"

We try to priorize the Playstation 1 games because these comes in CD format, which nowadays is an optic format that is getting old and so, the chances of having scratches that can damage the data, are bigger. Still, we would be really excited to get this missing Playstation 2 game from Norway too.

The main task is to document the disc and all the info around it, plus obtaining a clean backup (its a simple process made by a tool called IsoBuster). This process can be done by anyone owning the disc if you have a PC with disc reader. So, if you are still interested in helping us but dont wont to give out the game, you dont have to, as you can follow our steps (which doesnt go beyond than copying some info writen in the disc and dumping it with IsoBuster).

In the case of "Lego Island 2", it would be better to have the disc in our hands, as dumping it with our special hardware would help us obtain more information about it, but still, dumping it with IsoBuster would deliver a correct backup for preservation.

Thanks all so much for your atention!

Zerqent    276

Hello again Diego ;)

I have been keeping a lookout for Bricksters Revenge since you posted on reddit, sadly nothing found yet. The retro community has sadly been much more fragmented over the last years, so this forum is not as active as it once was. There are some Facebook groups, I tried one of them as well with no luck.

(I am keeping daily watch on finn.no (Norwegian Craigslist) for Bricksters revenge, I will start monitoring for Harry Potter as well).

Til andre: Jeg kjøper gjerne disse spillene og donerer dem til redump.

EDIT: Just ordered "Harry Potter og Mysteriekammeret" with Serial ID "SLES-51215" will hopefully have a dump up on redump within a week or so.

Edited by Zerqent

diegorbb93    1
22 hours ago, Zerqent said:

Hello again Diego ;)

I have been keeping a lookout for Bricksters Revenge since you posted on reddit, sadly nothing found yet. The retro community has sadly been much more fragmented over the last years, so this forum is not as active as it once was. There are some Facebook groups, I tried one of them as well with no luck.

(I am keeping daily watch on finn.no (Norwegian Craigslist) for Bricksters revenge, I will start monitoring for Harry Potter as well).

Til andre: Jeg kjøper gjerne disse spillene og donerer dem til redump.

EDIT: Just ordered "Harry Potter og Mysteriekammeret" with Serial ID "SLES-51215" will hopefully have a dump up on redump within a week or so.

Dead Zerqent, first, thank you so much for your interest. I must admit that is a little disappointing for me to see that absolutely nobody has any idea about but not only on Norway...

Ive been doing the same research for the finnish version, and the community in Finland is a bit bigger. Ive been able to send more than 10 emails around to different museums, blogs, retrocommunity websites...

And no luck. Most of them havent seen the game around and nobody has been able to confirm absolutely nothing about it.

With that said, i need to warm you, we finally added Harry Potter yesterday:

http://redump.org/disc/64232/

In case you want to cancel the order, please do it. If not, we still would like to make a "verification" by adding data and hashes from a second dump, this makes sure our dumps are confirmed to be good. 

Again, this was a really wonderful gesture from your side, so thank you so much for this.

BTW, i even asked Lego. The central Lego Support from Denmark was really nice but they can only redirect me to Warner Bros Games... And Warner Bros Games has told me they have no internal record about Lego Island 2, which confirms that this kind of things just tend to be lost in time.

Zerqent    276
6 hours ago, diegorbb93 said:

With that said, i need to warm you, we finally added Harry Potter yesterday:

http://redump.org/disc/64232/

In case you want to cancel the order, please do it. If not, we still would like to make a "verification" by adding data and hashes from a second dump, this makes sure our dumps are confirmed to be good. 

I saw that, but also I got the black label edition I believe so at least it will be confirmed that both are equal.

The community was large (on this page), but as I said has been fragmented now. The biggest communities are now probably these facebook groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/samlegruppa/ (I have started enquiries here)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/spillspillogmerspill/

Problem with facebook is that post disappear to fast so people might not be seeing them.

I sent some messages to two people yesterday that might have the game, at least used to have them.

Perhaps you could also get in contact with the people over at Retrospillmessen (https://www.retrospillmessen.no/contact-us) (Retrospillmessen = Retro game convention in norway), I know they count some collectors that used to be members here.

Edited by Zerqent

diegorbb93    1
2 hours ago, Zerqent said:

I saw that, but also I got the black label edition I believe so at least it will be confirmed that both are equal.

The community was large (on this page), but as I said has been fragmented now. The biggest communities are now probably these facebook groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/samlegruppa/ (I have started enquiries here)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/spillspillogmerspill/

Problem with facebook is that post disappear to fast so people might not be seeing them.

I sent some messages to two people yesterday that might have the game, at least used to have them.

Perhaps you could also get in contact with the people over at Retrospillmessen (https://www.retrospillmessen.no/contact-us) (Retrospillmessen = Retro game convention in norway), I know they count some collectors that used to be members here.

Thanks so much, this night ill make sure i sent lot of messages around!!!!!!!!

Sinfour    459

There is a collector in Norway who has all PAL games released, so I can ask him.

Zerqent    276

Some feedback from Facebook group. One guy has had it since release, was bought in a Norwegian store, but it was the swedish version... Might be a hint that the NO version does not exist, however it is not to uncommon for SWE/UKV-region games to be sold in Norwegian stores

diegorbb93    1
50 minutes ago, Zerqent said:

Some feedback from Facebook group. One guy has had it since release, was bought in a Norwegian store, but it was the swedish version... Might be a hint that the NO version does not exist, however it is not to uncommon for SWE/UKV-region games to be sold in Norwegian stores

This is really interesting, it will help in case other person confims this too!

8 hours ago, Sinfour said:

There is a collector in Norway who has all PAL games released, so I can ask him.

Please, i will apreciate it a lot!

diegorbb93    1

ALERT. This is really important, i just made a new interesting discovery. As i was checking the Serial ID list of known versions, i saw that the first serials ID after the normal european release came from Scandinavia (except Sweden, which was the last Serial ID), while the next bunch came from central and south countries.

SLES-03299 LEGO Island 2: The Brickster's Revenge [Europe]
SLES-03300 LEGO Øen 2: Kim Cool's Hævn [Denmark]
SLES-03301 LEGO Eiland 2: De Wraak van Dondersteen [Netherlands]
SLES-03302  ????
SLES-03303 L'ile LEGO 2: La Revanche de Cassbrik [France]
SLES-03304 LEGO Insel 2: Der Steinbrecher kehrt zurück [Germany]
SLES-03305 LEGO Isola 2: La Rivincita del Briccone [Italy]
SLES-03306   ????
SLES-03307 LEGO Island 2: The Brickster's Revenge [Spain]
SLES-03308 LEGO Island 2: The Brickster's Revenge [Sweden]

I wondered if maybe, SLES-03306 could be from a country related to this zone and i searched the game in Portugal. Double bingo.

I found out a Portugal copy that seems to be probably the “SLES-03306” versión, im trying to confirm. Plus, I found out that Portugal received a Lego Island 2 copy completely translated for PC (each PSX reléase had always a PC versión translated too).

And here’s where things get hot. This game was released for Game Boy Advance too, so i wondered which languages were included with the game. Guess what? This is the ROM name from No-Intro database:

“LEGO Island 2 - The Brickster's Revenge (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl,Pt,Sv,No,Da)”

Languages:         English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

… You get what im saying?

Can you guys check if you can find the PC version for this? If you find the Norwegian PC Version (being completely translated), it pretty much confirms that the PSX version is out there.

Sinfour    459

The guy I contacted will check as soon as he have time, he said he maybe have two versions. But he will check the SL number. I sent him the link to this forum so maybe he will contact you. 

diegorbb93    1
3 hours ago, Zerqent said:

But are you saying that perhaps the NO version will be SLES-03302 ?(not ...6) ?

Yes, i think it will probably be SLES-03302. I still need to confirm this, but it's what i expect. 

THANKS SO MUCH FOR CONFIRMING THE PC VERSION! This is pure proof that the Norwegian version should be real!

1 hour ago, Sinfour said:

The guy I contacted will check as soon as he have time, he said he maybe have two versions. But he will check the SL number. I sent him the link to this forum so maybe he will contact you. 

Thank you so much! Im excited to know about this!

Edited by diegorbb93

diegorbb93    1
On 22/8/2019 at 12:41 PM, Sinfour said:

On 22/8/2019 at 10:50 AM, Zerqent said:

Ey, any news from your side? :D

Sinfour    459
15 hours ago, diegorbb93 said:

Ey, any news from your side? :D

Not yet, this guy is busy and his collection may not be at his home. But I will hear with him soon :) 

diegorbb93    1
3 hours ago, Sinfour said:

Not yet, this guy is busy and his collection may not be at his home. But I will hear with him soon :) 

Thanks so much, im really nervious!

diegorbb93    1
On 22/8/2019 at 10:50 AM, Zerqent said:

Zerqent, any news from your side?

Zerqent    276

Nothing new sadly. The discussion on facebook died after a day, with only the swedish version having popped up.

I have received the Harry Potter PS2 game yesterday and will get a dump for it when I have the chance.

Also I noticed that http://redump.org/disc/62929/ (A Bug's Life) is wrongly named in Norwegian. It should be "Et insektliv". I got the photo under from a friend, I am pestering him to submit a dump of his game since he is both knowledgable enough to do it as well as retro-interested :P

69469143_1316658188496667_8469790655785205760_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQkUW1rje8ln0MqCKiks5VGDrg8HheRP5Yzzgfe6Y3WFtH1BjN-JX_9xlaAayVC9qUQ&_nc_ht=scontent.ftrd1-1.fna&oh=268c972d65ee16e3ec7069e078a6f274&oe=5DD795DF

diegorbb93    1
8 hours ago, Zerqent said:

Nothing new sadly. The discussion on facebook died after a day, with only the swedish version having popped up.

I have received the Harry Potter PS2 game yesterday and will get a dump for it when I have the chance.

Also I noticed that http://redump.org/disc/62929/ (A Bug's Life) is wrongly named in Norwegian. It should be "Et insektliv". I got the photo under from a friend, I am pestering him to submit a dump of his game since he is both knowledgable enough to do it as well as retro-interested :P

Sure, go ahead and make a couple of pictures of this one, i will post it on Redump so it gets fixed!

Edited by diegorbb93

Zerqent    276
On 8/28/2019 at 10:23 PM, diegorbb93 said:

I just discovered that the Platinum release, is different. It was edited with the name changed... Weird.

Seems like it: (on the lower right of this picture). Also the Å looks like À which is also weird...

189_911480346.jpg

diegorbb93    1

After nearly one months without news, i give up. Is time to make the people from other countries understand that we can't be responsable for this kind of stuff.

I quit, thanks all the members that answered in this post. 

• Like 1

Sinfour    459

Sorry I could not help this time. The guys I know that have a full PS1 collection did not have the time to check as theire collection was not at home. But I will still keep an eye open for this.